Sun

Sun
Stand in the Sun with Me

Run for the Son

Steve used his love for motorcycles to be involved with the Christian Motorcycle Association and he loved the opportunities for ministry there.

The CMA puts on an event every year called Run for the Son where they raise money to donate to three Christian charities.
1. Open Doors
2. The Jesus Film
3. Missionary Ventures

Steve told me that on average every dollar that is donated to Run for the Son means 1 person is brought to Christ. That's an amazing return on investment, in my opinion. $1 = 1 soul.
I have added this donation button so that you can donate to Run for the Sun in memory of Steve Ashbrook. He would be very honored. Thank you.

Run for the Son, in memory of Steve Ashbrook

Monday, December 9, 2013

Anniversary - 18 years

18 years ago on December 9, 1995,  I married the love of my life. It was such a crazy day.There was a huge ice storm the day before our wedding. The pipes froze at my house so I couldn't get ready there, and the electric was out at Steve's house so I couldn't get ready there. After I got to the church, I realized Aleyce's hair didn't curl, even though it had been in curlers all night and Adison was sick with a fever. When the candle lighters lit the candles, the ivy that we used for decoration caught on fire and Steve put it out with his hand.

We finally got through the wedding and the preacher (my Dad) forgot the "you may now kiss the bride" part. Steve forgot to take his old green watch off for the pictures. Last but not least, the best man (Steve's brother, Stuart) left the building before signing the marriage license. 

It didn't take long after that day for us to say, we should have just gotten married on a beach somewhere and done away with all the tradition. Steve told me he wanted us to renew our vows on our 20th anniversary, on the beach. We almost made it that far.  

I got married at 18 years old and immediately became a family because he already had two children. I look back at those early years and realize how much I didn't know. Like most newlyweds, we had a lot of obstacles to overcome, but over the past 10 years we've had the best relationship of anyone I know. We loved each other unconditionally. Neither of us ever tried to change the other or insist the other one do something our way. We had a mutual respect and trust that we each would do what was best for our family in any given situation. It wasn't always perfect, but a lot of times it was perfect. 

Now, I look back 3 months and realize how much I still didn't know. Only, now I can't make up for any of it and no amount of I'm sorry is going to bring him back. 

I wonder what he knows where he is, if he even knows today's date or remembers the significance. Most people say marriage ends at death, but I don't see how a connection on that spiritual of a level can die. Unless God sees fit to reunite us soon, I guess I will be celebrating a lot of anniversary's without him. 

Just in case heaven has internet, Happy Anniversary Babe, I still love you biggest!

No comments:

Post a Comment